Affording Justice 07 3236 3000

True or False – You change your name by deed poll?

Changing your name in Queensland is now done by filling in a form with the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.  Deed polls are no longer used.  You can change your name through the Queensland Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages only if:

If you were born in another Australian State or Territory, you have to use the processes of that State or Territory to change your name.

Often,  people use a name other than the one on their birth certificate without formally changing their name.  This is quite legal, as long as you are not using the other name to defraud anyone.  The reason you would change your name formally is to have proof of the new name.

Married women can use either their birth surname (proved by a birth certificate) or their husband’s surname (proved by a marriage certificate), and do not need to go through any other legal process for change of name.

You can find all the information about change of name and the forms to use from the website of the Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.